BRAMPTON, ON (February 1, 2021) – During the month of February, the City of Brampton recognizes Black History Month to celebrate the countless cultural, economic and compassionate contributions that Brampton’s Black community makes to the city, province and country.
To recognize individuals in the community who are advocates, champions and innovators, people can nominate residents for the Mayor Patrick Brown’s Making Black History Awards. For more information visit www.brampton.ca/BHM2021.
Due to COVID-19, activities and events will be hosted online this year. Programming includes:
• Sun Life Financial presents the Virtual Performance Series, a weekly performance series by local Black artists
• Black Makers Market featuring Black-owned businesses
• Wellness hour hosted by local yoga instructor Matthew Bonas
• Best and Black in Brampton Food Tour hosted by Azalea Hart
• Panel discussion curated by Brampton’s Jones & Jones Productions, on topics such as staying creative during the pandemic, navigating your career, Black Lives Matter and strong Black leadership
For more information on all activities and events happening, visit www.brampton.ca/BHM2021.
Black Political Empowerment Conference
This Black Political Empowerment Conference on February 9 and 10 will present informative and inspiring conversations with Black political leaders and allies. The conversations will focus on the critical importance of building Black political capital as a means of working towards the elimination of systemic racism, social, educational and corporate inequality but most importantly, inspire individuals, families and youth to participate in the arena of politics. Click here to register.
Black Youth Leadership Conference
Young people in our city have critical challenges to overcome and much work to do in order to prepare for success. This event, on February 26 from 9 am to 3:30 pm, is an opportunity to give young people a platform to discuss and share their challenges, concerns and dreams. The conference will focus on solutions to some of their challenges and engage in dialogue to help find ways to support their success. In addition to giving young people the platform to speak, the conference will hear from professionals and motivational speakers. This conference is in outreach to youth and school boards. For more information on participation, please contact email@example.com.