Lockdowns resume in Ontario on Boxing Day

BY SURJIT SINGH FLORA
Ontarians will be back in lockdown as of Saturday, Dec. 26, the province announced late last week, walking back an apparent plan to shut down the province on Christmas Eve.
During this time all non-essential businesses will be closed.
The lockdown will begin at 12:01 p.m. on Dec. 26, and will continue through Jan. 23 in all regions of Southern Ontario.
The provincial level lockdown will work functionally similar to the March lockdown, but essential businesses are allowed to
remain open.
No indoor public events or social gatherings will be allowed during the lockdown.
Facing a wave of criticism over rising cases, Premier Doug Ford said the move was necessary in the coming weeks to save lives and reduce the number of people visiting their hospitals.
He said thousands of lives were at stake at the moment. “If we get tired of taking action now, the consequences can be devastating.”
He said the reality is that this strictness will not go away until more Ontarians are vaccinated. Publicly funded elementary and secondary schools will also be closed until at least Jan. 11, with learning transferring to online models.
Elementary schools in southern Ontario will also be able to start in-person learning from Jan. 11, while secondary school students in Southern Ontario will not be allowed to return to classes until Jan. 25.
Travelers coming back to Canada will be asked to isolate themselves when returning to Ontario, with Ford pushing for mandatory testing on all international flights.
Toronto, Peel and York Region, as well as Windsor Essex, are already in lockdown. Hamilton was sent to the “gray” lockdown level on Monday

About the author

Asia Metro Editor

Surjit Singh Flora
editor@asiametro.ca

Leave a Comment